Sunday 20 May 2012

Protest as Lord Freud defends his benefit cuts

HOUSING EMERGENCY

JOIN THE PROTEST as Lord Freud defends his benefit cuts

Wed 23rd May 9.15am

outside Commonwealth Club, 25 Northumberland Avenue, London WC2N 5AP

Click here to download the leaflet

Minister for Welfare Reform Lord Freud is leading the Government’s attacks on benefits. Freud is coming to defend his disastrous attacks on Benefits, which are hitting the poorest, sick and disabled, the old and under-35s. Bring placards, posters (‘Lord Freud wants to evict me’ etc), and cardboard boxes – to build a cardboard city for evicted tenants

Contact Housing Emergency c/o mitchellav@parliament.uk or info@defendcouncilhousing.org.uk or call 020 7219 4559

• Cap rents not housing benefit
  • Hands off security of tenancies
  • No evictions due to cuts in housing benefit
  • Oppose 80% market rents
  • Regulate private rents and standards and increase security
  • Create new council and other homes for rent

Government proposals to cut housing benefit, force rents up to 80% of market levels, and remove security of tenure for new tenants will increase fear and insecurity, rent arrears, evictions and homelessness.

We want secure and stable mixed communities – not poverty traps and transit camps.

Cuts (or ‘caps’) are being phased in and worse is still to come: 100,000 children will be pushed into poverty by the HB caps, say DWP; at least 250,000 families are at risk of losing their homes; one-third of England will become unaffordable for low income households.

Housing Emergency is bringing together organisations and individuals to oppose attacks on Housing Benefit, rents and secure tenancies, and for investment in new and improved council and affordable secure rented homes

Supported by House of Commons Council Housing Group; Defend Council Housing; Unite, GMB, Public and Commercial Services trade unions; South East Region TUC; Islington and Barking & Dagenham Council; National Private Tenants Organisation; Leeds, Kirklees, Rotherham Southwark, Tower Hamlets Tenants Federations; Muslim Council of Britain; Housing Justice; London Coalition Against Poverty; Right to Work Campaign; Labour Representation Committee; Disabled People Against Cuts

8 comments

1. Ann rennie said:

The capitalist system is a two way agreement- brake that agreement at your pearl. This society is at breaking point- you will not get away with making London the first gated city for the rich- the people have human rights you are braking that agreement also- think before you set this scene. This country belongs to the people not the rich.

21 May 2012 at 12:09am
  2. bob brown said:

dont forget the rest of the country not just london

23 May 2012 at 5:55pm
  3. simon walsh said:

im in Scotland and recieve £340 housing benefit a month on a house that costs £375 per month, and i make up the rest .. but starting August my benefit is getting cut to £260 per month . it took me till i was 27 to move out my mums and find a house , wich had to be a private let as the council only offer bad areas with high crime rates.. and now i have been made to make the desicion to pay my rent instead of buying food etc .. very scared off whats ahead..

24 May 2012 at 11:41pm
  4. Mr Rodney Thiis said:

I am a carer for my fiance who suffers with a mental illness and severe feet and back problems. We have moved around and lived in bad areas and eventually found a home in a decent area. I am so worried for the welfare of my fiance, as its taken years to find somewhere. It awful the stress of bedroom tax and others things that may affect us. Why cannot the government see how if affects vunerable people.

28 May 2012 at 8:48pm
  5. Stuart king said:

i agree with you simon walsh i live in kent area and i had a similar issue to yours except i was made homeless at 29 and eventually found a private landlord whom ive been renting from till date,but my rent is 525 a month and my new letter i received today says im getting 273 every 4 weeks now towards rent,theres just no way i can pay a the out standing if i tryed…..

30 May 2012 at 3:05pm
  6. Colin Reeves said:

I joined the military at 15.5 years old and worked until I was 69 mainly in the Fire service and military. I receive a crap pension for this and rely on benefits. Now an unelected individual is to reduce us to a state of poverty. I did not bring about the financial collapse of this country, people like the instigator of this plan did. I suggest the people of this country follow the same plan as the people of Iceland have and take our country back. Let the people who caused the economic collapse pay for their actions. Let’s have a quiet revolution like Iceland. Don’t know about it? No, the powers that be are ensuring it is kept quiet because it is people power.

31 May 2012 at 1:19pm
  7. simon walsh said:

@STUART .. you can apply for a discretionary top up on your housing benefit once the cut kicks in m8 .. you can only get it for 3 months then u apply again u can get anothr 3 months .. i haent done this myself yet as my cut doesnt kick in until august , kind of hoping these go away before then @_<

1 June 2012 at 12:53am
  8. wendybaker said:

in reply to simon walsh I would just like to say like most things the govt machine say you MAY be able to claim never comes to fruition, but as each case is individually assessed nobody knows how many people are refused.

11 July 2012 at 2:02pm