Unison are set to take strike action next week, Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd June. Our members voted by 67% to take strike action after rejecting the 3rd year of below inflation pay offers. Our members are cleaners, catering assistants, administrators and earn as little as £13000 a year full time before tax and have been offered just 1.2% per year when inflation last year was over 5%.
In a separate dispute the University have also recently announced plans to abolish enhanced pay rates for bank holidays and weekends for the majority of our members, in a move that disproportionately affects the lowest paid and women workers
We are constantly told by politicians and the media that we are ‘all in it together.’ At the University of Birmingham this couldn’t be further from the truth. Our Vice chancellor is paid over £419 000 per year in pay and benefits and indeed last year saw the pay of those already earning £100,000 rise by an average of 4.7%. The University can afford to pay more. Last year the University surplus (profits) rose from £22.3m to £27m per year.
We are appealing for support to ensure our members know they have the support of others, are not on their own and can afford to take action. Please show your solidarity by:
- Sending us a message of support we can pass onto our members to email@example.com
- We are small branch and making a donation to our hardship fund will really make a difference. Cheques made payable to ‘Birmingham University UNISON’ can be sent to:
- Dawn Sant, UNISON West Midlands, 24 Livery st, Birmingham B3 2PA
- Should the dispute be settled without taking strike action we will return the cheque to you.
- Forwarding on our online petition http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-bank-holidays-closed-days-and-weekends-special.html
- Sending a delegation to our pickets lines which will be at all the main entrances to the University on both dates. You can be assured of a warm welcome from us
Our branch website www.birminghamuniunison.org.uk has more information.
Messages of support to firstname.lastname@example.org